Donnerstag, 30. Dezember 2010

Top stuff of the year 2010: gigs

Gigs are easier than albums, because you can be pretty sure you've been there. Even if you can't remember the event itself the next morning, you can tell by your ears ringing and possibly your hangover. If your ears haven't stopped ringing yet, you can tell you've seen the band in 2010 and also that it probably wasn't all that good for you - simple.

1. Anathema, Viper Room, Vienna

Opinions are divided as to Anathema-gigs. Some claim that they are boring and unspectacular, others swear by them. I've seen Anathema a coupla times and only caught them on a bad day once and this year's one wasn't it. In fact it was brilliant, enchanting and everything else. Anathema never play really large venues, which supports the intimate, friendly atmosphere they almost always manage to create. Also, they usually manage to make me cry, which is why I tend to crack bad jokes during their shows, but I should absolutely stop doing that. Anyway, because of all these things this was my best gig of the year. Also, they played their complete excellent new album (see below) in sequence, which made me twice as happy.

2. New Model Army, Szene, Vienna (twice)

NMA decided to celebrate their 30 year anniversary in 2010 by touring extensively through some major European cities and in most cities: playing two evenings in a row, on each evening playing 2+ hours (half an hour of which accoustic), playing at least five songs off each album and selling combination tickets for both evenings for a more than fair price. Every band in the world should copy this strategy off them!!! Apart from the idea, the quality of the concerts was great and the atmosphere fantastic and very friendly. Needless to say every other band should copy THIS off them as well, but many seem to be having trouble even trying, oh well....

3. Them Crooked Vultures, Arena open air, Vienna

I had my doubts if this super group could actually work live. After all this is Josh Homme, Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones we're talking about. I was half-suspecting everyone in the audience just standing frozen and gaping in awe while the band pulled off a mediocre rock star set. Well I'm glad I was wrong, because the show was at least as much fun as was their album. Also, I for one couldn't gape in awe as I was tiptoeing and freezing my arse off. Yes, it was the coldest day in June you've ever experienced, I had my skiing anorak on! Anyway, it still was a fantastic gig in a fantastic venue, even more special as I hadn't seen either of the three 'in the flesh' before. I'm glad to report they're not made of marble!

4. Faith No More, Forestglade Festival, Wiesen

Another biggie. It took me a long time to get into FNM, but them being such a fantastic live band certainly helped my progress. It was the second year in a row I'd seen them live and as in the year before, they were accompanied by a massive thunder storm. Seriously, I thought it was the end of the world both times. People were soaking, screaming and fleeing into the huge tent where the stage was. Interestingly though, the storm with everyone huddling up in the tend created a kind of cosy atmosphere which FNM instantly took advantage of. The whole event was just magic - and I still wasn't very much into them at the time; however, the show converted me. It also involved Mike Patton forcing a member of the audience to tell everyone his address so we could all meet there for drinks afterwards and also him saltoing face first into the drum kit (ouch). Look, here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urmx_1670t4


5. And So I Watch You From Afar, The Tunnels, Aberdeen

Basically they were just supporting Oceansize, who were an absolute disappointment, however (see below). Anyway, ASIWYFA (there's no useful abbreviation for this name) totally made up for it. Actually I could only attend this gig because I had to postpone my flight back to Austria because of an exam. Lost a lot of money, but discovered a truly amazing band in the process. Incidentally, they got to support Them Crooked Vultures (see above) later in the year. Only caught 5 minutes though due to being held off at the entrance.



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen